What is OpenJump?
"JUMP is a computer program that uses a unified mapping platform as a visualisation framework … " (changed ESRI key note on What is GIS? by M. Bobzien)
:o) But to be a bit more serious..
- It is a Vector GIS that can read rasters as well
- OpenJUMP is known to work on Windows, Linux and Mac platforms, but should work on any operating system that runs Java 1.4 or later.
- It is not just another free demo viewer, but you can edit, save, analyze etc. with JUMP / OpenJUMP
- It works, even with medium size datasets, and with professional touch
- It provides a GIS API with a flexible plugin structure, so that new features are relatively easy to develope around the sound mapping platform.
- It utilises standards like GML, WMS and WFS
- It is already translated in English, Finnish, French, German, Portugese and Spanish. The translation in other languages is in progress.
- ..and it is free (under the GPL license).